Luke-The Investigative Gospel
A Baby On The Way
What does the word “blessing” mean? What does “to be blessed” mean?
- God blesses his people when he bestows on them some gift temporal or spiritual (Genesis 1:22,24:35; Job 42:12; Psalm 45:2,104:24,104:35).
- We bless God when we thank him for his mercies (Psalm 103:1-2,145:1-2).
- A man blesses himself when he invokes God’s blessing (Isaiah 65:16), or rejoices in God’s goodness to him (Deuteronomy 29:19; Psalm 49:18).
- One blesses another when he expresses good wishes or offers prayer to God for his welfare (Genesis 24:60,31:55; I Samuel 2:20).
Goodness and blessing can be associated with all three of these people.
I. Blessed is the Woman carrying the Child
I think Elizabeth is telling Mary that God has bestowed upon her a wonderful gift.
II. Blessed is the Child
This baby is not an ordinary baby, but is the Son of God.
III. Blessed is She who believes what the Lord said
Both of these women have received from God something that is impossible.
- We should have no fear about this life because Our God is in control.
- We should have hope in the future because of what Jesus has done and has prepared for us.
- We should have peace in this life because we know God keeps His promises.